she's the drama queen.

boundless.
Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's been 5 months in Dubai and I must admit I have met some very interesting people.. I have met someone called Troy, another one called Mallubhai and yes, I even met someone whose surname was Sparta. I have met a Michael Jackson, and a Michael Jordan. I have met a girl who was half Indian, half Chinese, born and brought up in Kenya, studied in London and working for a Pakistani news channel in Dubai. I have made Egyptian friends, Palestinian friends, Filipino friends and French friends. Yes, my time here hasn't been half bad.

One may be surpised to not hear me bitching about Dubai anymore. No, not so much. I realized the source of all bitching. It was the endless stress and the never ending tiredness. After being treated like a lab rat for two weeks, they finally discovered what was wrong with me. First I had my ECG, then I had my Holter (where they hook you to a machine and monitor heartbeat for 24 hours) and finally, I had an echo (an ultrasound of the heart).

Turns out, the average human heart beat about 70 to 100 times per minute. Anything above 100 is considered abnormal and my heart has been beating nearly 200 beats per minute. However, it goes down to 90 the moment I fall asleep so the problem is not with my heart.. the doctor says it's because the connection between my heart and head is too strong.

Well, so he gave me a medicine which has since then turned my life around. For the first time in ages, I can't feel my heart beat. I feel light and do not get tired too easily. The world seems a lovely place. Funny what a difference a tiny 10mg Propranolol pink pill makes.

The day after I was diagnosed, Bhaiyya emailed me 12 ways to kill stress before it kills you and I looked at it with awe. It wasn't anything I didn't know or something I didn't actively tell people to do. the list was no surprise in thatsense but I realized how much I'd forgotten to do, how much I had changed in my time in Dubai. It had a little section on how it's very important to talk it out. I have always firmly believed in talkin thins out, no one could be a bigger advocate. Yet I realized since I have moved to Dubai I just shut down.

I have paid my fee deposit for Lancaster but I have two excellent job interviews in Karachi next week and one in Dubai soon as well, so you never know how life is going to turn out. It's really lovely, all this anticipation and endless opportunities and boundless aspirations.

I sound like a motivational speaker.